Sunday, March 6, 2016

Growing Pains


“I want what you have.”

Have you heard these words before? Maybe from a friend or coworker? They’re powerful words, but can be destructive. For both parties.

Have I lost you? Don’t worry. Keep reading. I’ll explain.

I remember the day I heard these words from my son. One day, we were discussing love and marriage, and he looked me square in the eyes and said, “I want what you and Dad have.”

I have to say, I was speechless. Don’t get me wrong. I would love my son to “find” true love, but (yes, there’s always a but) what I have with my husband didn’t happen overnight. It’s taken twenty-six years and continues to grow each day.

Now, let’s take a step back for a second. This is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to admit…to anyone. As much as I love my son, in reality, I don’t want my son to have our life. Don’t get me wrong, I adore my husband and wouldn’t trade one day of my life with him. And he knows it.

But the last thing I want is my son to watch the woman he loves suffer unbearable agony on a daily basis. Or experience inexplicable seizures and migraines. Or wake up to a broken body at the bottom of the stairs. Or nurse her through pregnancy and wonder if she or their unborn child will make it through a long, wrenching labor. Or sit through surgery after surgery only to discover another looms in the near future.

You see…on the surface, someone else’s (even your parent’s) life seems great, their love indestructible. But it doesn’t begin that way. The day I married my husband, I was a young, nineteen year old, naïve and ignorant of the world. He was twenty-five, an apprentice struggling to make ends meet. We were in love and thought God would save us from anything. Instead, He taught us to trust Him and each other. The hard way.

I don’t want that for my son or any friend. It would break my heart. I pray no one, especially my son, walks our path for love. Yes, our love is strong, but it came at a price. All relationships have them. And all require sacrifice.

What do I want for you (and him)? For the Lord to work in your life as He will. For you to open your entire life to Him and not needlessly covet others. The Lord has great plans for each and every one of us. Stay in His Word and pray. He'll reveal His will for you. Don't sacrifice Him for anyone else. Pursue your dreams and let God lead you in the path of righteousness. Never give up and never give in, even when it hurts. And above all, instead of "I want what you have," I want to hear,

“I want God.”



James 4:2 You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask.

10 comments:

  1. Renee, this is such an incredible testimony that actually brought tears to my heart. God tested you, stayed faithful to you and is using you mightily. This is a touching and teaching moment that I will remember for a very long, long time. There will be hugs between us in our eternal home with the Lord. j

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Joyce. Your words comfort me and I hope we meet someday. But if we don't, I know we will know each other on the streets of gold. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. Seeing others on the outside doesn't give you any clue to what's really happening. I remember a couple I knew, professional people, kids, big house, big money- it seemed they had everything. I remember feeling a little envious. Yet in a matter of a few months, everything had collapsed. Their marriage, their health, their family. It was heart wrenching to watch, and humbling to remember my envy of them. My pride often gets in God's way alot. I loved this article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peggy. The truth is not always so glamorous, is it?

      Delete
    2. Beautiful. I had no idea you have health issues. If your son is anything like his dad, and I'm guessing he is, he'd welcome any challenge. And I doubt your husband considers you to be one.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Gay. My husband and I both have challenges we face on a daily basis, but we meet them with the Lord as our strength and comfort. He keeps us strong and faithful. That's what I want for all people, especially my son. But most of all, I want him to put God first in his life and let all things come with Him in the lead. :)

      Delete
  4. What a lovely post, Renee! Thank you for sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Danele! You're so sweet. :) Love you.

      Delete
  5. Beautifully written from the heart. Thanks for opening a crack in your life window and letting us in, and reminding us God is everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. We will all face trials in life and love, but if we put God first, the reward is so worth it. Thanks for stopping by. Love you.

      Delete

Please leave your email as well as your name if you are entering a giveaway. After all, if you win, I need to let you know!