Lisa Lickel Talks It Up on Inspirational Moments

Lisa Lickel Talks Up Her New Book
and Prism's LOVE IS Series



Welcome Lisa Lickel to Inspirational Moments! She's talking her latest release and Prism Book Group's new series! Which series is that? The LOVE IS...series. What an amazing subject, wouldn't you agree? Especially in February! Well, let's find out what this is all about.

Hi, Lisa, welcome to Inspirational Moments. What can you tell me about Prism's new series?

Starting in February, 2016, the first four of the LOVE IS Series will release. Initially individual e-books, these nifty little romances based on 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a (NIV) will charm and uplift readers from about high school age and up. Each story’s theme is based on the definition of what love is, and is not, from Paul’s first letter to the church at Corinth: starting at verse 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. Verse 5, It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Verse 6, Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. Verse 7, It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres, and verse 8, Love never fails.

You have a book in this series as well. Which part of this awesome passage does it focus on?

My book, the fifth in the series is based on “love is not proud.” Everything About You takes place in rural western Wisconsin, as a movie set with cues as seen in typical scripts.

That sounds cool! I can't wait to pick it up! I'd like to find out more about you as a writer. I'm sure my readers would too! Mmmm, let's see...do you write more than just novels?

I also write radio theater and took a script writing class, so I’m a tiny bit experienced with plays and I decided it would be fun to use a few quirks in my LOVE IS novella to make it a little different. I also write devotionals, workshop curriculum, interviews, press releases, articles and feature newspaper stories, though it’s been a while.

What about your characters? How do you get the "three dimensional" quality?

Just like real people, fictional characters have to be real to whoever is experiencing them, reader, visitor. If I’m sitting with you, having a cup or tea, a meal, a chat, there are things that I observe you doing, and things that you do that I react to—such as fidgeting, the way you hold your cup, your scent, what if anything I know about you in order to judge your reactions and actions, your posture, the timbre of your voice, if your skin is cool, clammy, rough, when or if I shake your hand. Those are things, the sensory images, that allow us to experience each other. I try to bring those things into play in subtle ways in my stories.

When and how do you do your research? Do you travel?

If the concept or setting is some place or thing I’m not terribly familiar with, or has changed since the last time I visited or thought about it, yes, I’ll travel if the site is within reach. For my novel Healing Grace, I visited western Michigan and Petoskey, an important part of the story; for The Last Detail, I spent time in the central Illinois area and state parks where that story is set. For Everything About You, I pictured the community where I set the story, in my mind from my frequent visits passing from one side of Wisconsin to the other. I research as I go or ahead of time in the “pre-writing” stage, keeping notes and downloads in a separate folder.

Switching topics now! What about marketing and social media? (Every writer's nightmare, I believe. LOL) Is social media a hindrance or a tool for your writing?

The short answer is: Yes. Marketing is part of the work; it has to be, but it takes time and if it’s not as instinctual for an author as it is for putting words on paper, then it feels intrusive. But it’s part of developing and maintaining a fan base.

Oh, I just about died laughing! I agree so much! I think of it as a double-edged sword. I really need to get a timer and put it next to me. Set it and when the thing goes off, GET OFF Facebook...or whatever I'm doing. LOL Do you have any quirks or habits which keep your family or friends guessing?

I’ve started carrying over this annoying habit from work into “real” life: I have a running commentary on EVERYTHING in my head, and I sometimes forget if I’ve already introduced a particular thought so I just start in talking out loud as if my listener knows exactly what I’m talking about. For instance, if I’m sharing a bit of news, I’ll start in on the “what do you think of…” part while my poor friend or husband has no idea what I’m talking about. It might be more annoying than “guessing” however.

Oh no, has someone been watching too much news? Just kidding! One last question for the readers...is there a special quote or saying which comes to your mind in times of need or adversity?

A verse from the Bible, Jeremiah 29:11-12, usually puts me in place where my worry-wart side shows up: “I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.”

Thanks for a great interview, Lisa!

_________________________________________________________


Share what "LOVE IS NOT PROUD" means to you for a 
chance to win an e-copy of
Everything About You!
(Available upon Release in March to ONE Winner!)

Comment Below!
Drawing on 2/13/2016
(Minimum of 5 comments to validate giveaway)

Book cover and blurb: pending

______________________________________________________

About the Author, Lisa Lickel:

Lisa Lickel is a Wisconsin writer who lives in a hundred and sixty-year-old house built by a Great Lakes ship captain. A multi-published, best-selling and award-winning novelist, she also writes short stories and radio theater, is an avid book reviewer, blogger, a freelance editor, and workshop leader. Visit LisaLickel.com. Follow me at twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@lisajlickel; facebook: http://www.facebook.com/authorlisalickel



Comments

  1. Sounds like a fun series, Lisa. Good for you, taking a little different tack w/the script details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a nice interview Renee. The whole series is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read several of Lisa's books and thoroughly enjoy them. She has a way of blending deep meaning with everyday life. I'll look forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Engaging interview! I look forward to reading Lisa's book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good interview. I enjoyed reading it for proofing and wondered where your expertise in movie sets came from. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of using the Bible's "love chapter" as the inspiration for a series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview, Lisa. Looking forward to the book! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for the visits and comments. I'm grateful for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree so much with all of you! What better reference for a series than God's very definition of love? I can't wait to read Lisa's book as well. :) Thanks for stopping by, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And the winner of the giveaway is...LYNN LOVEGREEN! Congratulations, Lynn! Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your email as well as your name if you are entering a giveaway. After all, if you win, I need to let you know!

Popular Posts