Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Coffee Corner with Peggy Trotter

It’s Coffee Corner time, and I have a treat for you!


The Coffee Corner on Inspirational Moments


Pour yourself a cup, grab a cookie, and welcome my friend and fellow crit partner, Peggy Trotter.


RB: I’m so excited to have you here! For those who may not know, Peggy’s released her debut novel with Prism Book Group this month. Tell us more about Year of Jubilee, Peggy.
PT: Year of Jubilee is a Historical Christian Romance set in Southern Indiana. My heroine has a damaged past, abandoned, kidnapped, and abused by her first husband, she is struggling just to feed herself in the year of 1850. My hero is recovering from being left at the altar and believes he’s bought a vacated farm. Only he learns it’s very much occupied.
historical-romance-peggy-trotter-christian

RB: What a story…I absolutely love it! Okay, slap my wrist…OUCH! I almost gave it away. Back to the interview. I know this is your first published book, but you’ve written several. How do you decide what to write about and when do you do your research?
PT: I’m not sure I really ‘pick’ what I’m going to write. It’s like the premise finds me. Usually, the trail is someone who’s at the end of hope, who feels they are trapped in a desperate situation with no viable means of escape. I’ve found from experience that when you come to that bolder-lined bottom, where there is no option, we reach for God, and He eagerly pulls you up and out of the miry pit and turns the blackest future into splendor.
As far as research goes, I have a “find it when you need it” mentality. If I need to know if baseball was invented by 1850, I just start looking on the internet or in a book to find out. Sometimes, unfortunately yet fortunately, it leads me down different rabbit holes where another premise might tug my interest!
RB: What an interesting way to put it. I’m researching a bit before I start writing the next novel in my Snowy Range Series. I realized I didn’t know enough about some things, and thought I’d better find out. It’s been a challenge but fun. What’s easiest about writing for you?
PT: That’s easy. Plain writing. I have most of the story lines already worked out in my head, and they are dying to get out!!! But, that is not all to writing. I’m a pretty obsessive personality, so I have to pull myself away from it to get other things done. If I’m alone writing without disturbance from anyone, I might not even stop to eat a meal! LOL
RB: I’m glad I’m not the only one who does that! If my husband isn’t around when I’m writing or editing, I do the same thing. Truly, I know we’re capable of multi-tasking…anybody out there guilty of doing something similar?
So Peg, would you like to share a bit of your book?
PT: I’m afraid I’ll include something that will offend someone. My idea of an acceptable scene may not be someone else’s. And the last thing I want to do is turn someone away who could benefit from the hope in my book.
RB: I know your book addresses powerful issues such as spousal abuse, and rape, but it also speaks to the heart and mind. It shows the way to start anew after such things happen and become whole through Christ. Life can be cruel, but God is good…all the time. But how about we let the readers discover what I'm talking about for themselves?
Onto personal things…do you have any fun hobbies or things you like to do when you aren’t writing?
PT: I’m a hobby maniac!!! Here are some of the things I like to do: paint, knit, crochet, DIY, bead, scrapbook, play the piano, crafts, cross-stitch, sew, shop (LOL), latch hook, woodworking, repurpose furniture and other items, study genealogy, garden, yardwork, and more. Most of the things hanging in my house I’ve either painted, made, or repurposed. I love to learn new things. Some of my students are showing me how to make bracelets from rubber bands. Even that is fun!
Peg-office-space
Peggy's Office Cubby
RB: I bet your home is awesome! What’s your writing spot look like?
PT: I have a little cubby off my kitchen. I like it there because I can stop and check something out while I’m supposed to be cleaning or cooking. Notice neither one of those were in the hobby list! J And I love sticky notes. It makes things super messy looking, but I don’t lose it that way. And it’s a handy reminder. All I have to do is look up. I tried to take them all down, but my personality works better with a little chaos!
RB: I love the yellow and the sign! And what I know of you, are you sure chaos isn’t your middle name? Just kidding! Be nice on my next critique!

 

Peggy’s giving away one copy (digital or paperback) of her new release, Year of Jubilee!

Archived Post...Giveaway has ended.

historical-romance-peggy-trotter-christian
Peggy Trotter

 

Do you have a favorite color? Peggy does! What do you think it is? Toss out a guess and comment below.

Archived Post...Giveaway has ended.



About the Book, Year of Jubilee:

Orphaned and widowed, eighteen year old JUBILEE STALLINGS clings to her southern Indiana farm as her only refuge. The wilds of Gibson County are just being tamed in the year of 1850, and Jubilee ekes a meager existence. But when RAFE TANNER, a cousin of her abusive dead husband, shows up with the deed to her property, Jubilee’s dream of her own home dissolves.
Rafe, stinging from his ex-fiancée’s rejection, offers a business marriage, throwing him and Jubilee together in an effort to make the farm successful. But scars from the past keep her in constant fear of her new husband. The pair masquerades as a love-struck couple at Rafe’s family farm, enduring the romantic notions of his family and the jealousy of his ex-fiancée.
Once home, Rafe realizes his newfound love for Jubilee, and sets out to court her. Meanwhile, Jubilee fights demons from her past as her husband reveals his interest. Can Jubilee let go of her distrust and pain to embrace God’s plan of true love and finally find a place to belong?


About the Author, Peggy Trotter:

peggy-trotter-author
Peggy Trotter
Peggy Trotter has been writing something for over 30 years. The empty-nest syndrome set her to groping for a new direction, and wow, did God answer! Year of Jubilee, a Christian Historical Romance set in southern Indiana, debuted on April 10th  of 2015 through Prism Book Group. A second, a Contemporary Romance entitled, Reviving Jules, will follow on Oct. 9th, 2015 as well. She loves to reveal God’s miracles through the world’s underdogs and mix in a little love and happy endings. And a dash of heat!
She finaled in the Indiana Golden Opportunity Contest in 2013 in the inspirational Category, and is a 2014 ACFW Genesis Finalist in the Novella Category. Seldom does she stand still, but when she does, it’s to praise her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, Creator of all gifts and Bestower of all blessings!
My website: peggytrotter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your email as well as your name if you are entering a giveaway. After all, if you win, I need to let you know!