Sunday, January 4, 2015

The New Year Greets Janet Sketchley on the Coffee Corner

The Coffee Corner on Inspirational Moments

 

Janet Sketchley joins us once again for a dynamite interview on the Coffee Corner.


Hi everyone and Happy New Year! Can you believe it’s 2015?
Wow! Last year flew by, didn’t it? What better way to ring in another calendar year than with a great author? Janet's also giving away a copy of her book Secrets and Lies, so pull up a chair, grab a cup and let’s go!

RENEE: I’m so glad you could be here today for this special Coffee Corner, Janet. As you know, it’s a brand new year. Do you have any special plans or goals you can share?


JANET: I'm excited (and a bit nervous) about a couple of projects. Writing-wise, I'm ready to start Redemption's Edge book 3, No Safe Place. And household-wise, this looks like the Year of the Kitchen Renovations.

RENEE: I know what renovations are like, especially in the kitchen. Add writing to that project, and it sounds like you're going to be one busy lady this year.

Speaking of writing, Heaven’s Prey was such a great book. It really affected me when I read it. How has it changed your life?


JANET: I'm glad Heaven's Prey worked for you, Renee. It's a difficult subject and not for everyone, but a few readers have told me how it blessed them personally. It was my first published novel, so that changed my writing life. Suddenly there were deadlines and promotions, etc. But the biggest change for me came through exploring how an ordinary person's choices could turn him into such a terrible villain. I'm more mindful of my own choices now, and more inclined to wonder about the motivations and past experiences of difficult people I encounter, instead of simply assuming they want to be the way they are.

RENEE: I can see how it could be a challenging book to write in many ways. And as we all know, choices have consequences, some good, some bad. The challenge is facing them. Thank you for showing that in a realistic and godly manner.

Can you believe Christmas is already over and it’s 2015? What do we have to look forward from the author, Janet Sketchley?


JANET: No Safe Place is a romantic suspense set in Nova Scotia (on Canada's east coast). When Amy Silver's fiancé died in a plane crash, she accepted his best friend's offer of shelter and a job. Now, almost two years later, has she found sanctuary... or something more sinister? The novel should release in the fall of 2015, and I'm sure the description will have changed by then.

RENEE: Oooh, that one sounds spooky. I can’t wait to read it. I’ll even discover more about Nova Scotia in the process!
You’ll never guess what happened over the holidays at my place. Our household has a new member…a puppy. That’s right. Here I am…forty-five, and I have another baby. Who'd have thunk it?

Has life ever given you an unexpected surprise? If so, what did you do?


JANET: Congratulations on the new puppy! Looking back, I see plenty of unexpected surprises, not all of them pleasant. What did I do? Learned to rely on God and trust His character, a bit more each time. (That's the short version – the long version is that I usually resisted Him along the way and made the lessons last longer!)

I know what you mean about hard and long lessons. He usually has to bonk me on the head a few times to get me to see reason. Painful, but effective. It usually happens when I’m in panic mode. One has been time management. It seems to be a challenge for many people.

RENEE: Do you have any tricks of the trade?


JANET: It's a challenge for me, too! One thing I'm learning is that small amounts of effort, regularly invested, add up.  So as I work on this next novel, instead of waiting for a block of time to just write, I'll take a smaller chunk of time each day and work toward the end.

RENEE: When we moved away from Wyoming, I realized I’d taken many things for granted. Is there an easy way to tell the world to pay attention?


JANET: I don't think so! And the danger is, even a wake-up call to appreciate the blessings around us may not last. We're such complacent people. Gratitude journals can help, and what if we had a few friends who each challenged the others to look for the gifts in our days? Our examples can inspire others, and it could spread. I hope you're finding much to love about your new home and not missing Wyoming too much...

RENEE: I’m actually back in God’s country now (that’s what I call my beautiful state). Our excursion to the south was necessary but short-lived. He called us home. But it’s hard to watch others brush off the treasures within a finger’s touch. I love your ideas of the journal and accountability partners. The last thing I want to do is take those treasures for granted again.
Now, I’m as eclectic with my interests as I am with my music. I love to fish the mountain streams and lakes, read, and I play the guitar. At the same time, give me a beach and snorkel, and I’m in heaven.

What’s a good word to describe you?


JANET: It sounds like you can enjoy yourself anywhere, Renee. That's great! I like to do solitary things: reading, writing, cross-stitch, even listening to music. Yet I love nature walks with a good companion, and with those who know me well, I'm certainly not quiet! I also have a quirky sense of humour.

RENEE: If you could say one thing to your readers, what would it be?


JANET: Whatever happens, Jesus will be there. And you can trust the hand – and the heart – of God.
Renee, thanks so much for hosting me again today at the Coffee Corner. All the best in 2015!

RENEE: Thank you for stopping by the Corner, Janet and Happy New Year!




Comment now for your chance to win Secrets and Lies!

***ARCHIVE POST: GIVEAWAY COMPLETED***




Secrets and Lies by Sketchley
Secrets and Lies

Winner's choice of e-copy or print copy
***ARCHIVE POST...GIVEAWAY HAS ENDED!***

About the Book:

A single mother must protect her teenage son—from organized crime and from himself. 
Carol Daniels thinks she out-ran her enemies, until a detective arrives at her door with a warning from her convict brother. Minor incidents take on a sinister meaning. An anonymous phone call warns her not to hide again. 
Now she must cooperate with a drug lord while the police work to trap him. Carol has always handled crisis alone, but this one might break her. Late-night deejay Joey Hill offers friendship and moral support. Can she trust him? One thing’s certain. She can’t risk prayer.



About the Author:

Janet Sketchley Author
Janet Sketchley
Janet Sketchley is the author of Heaven's Prey and Secrets and Lies, two novels of suspense and redemption. She also blogs about faith and books. Janet loves adventure stories, worship music, tea and Formula 1 racing. Like Carol in Secrets and Lies, she loves music and tea. Unlike Carol, Janet isn't related to a dangerous offender, has a happy home life, and has never been threatened by a drug lord. May those tidbits continue to hold true! You can find Janet online at janetsketchley.ca. Fans of Christian suspense are invited to join Janet's writing journey through her monthly newsletter: bit.ly/JanetSketchleyNews.
Join Janet's author journey – sign up for her monthly newsletter: http://bit.ly/JanetSketchleyNews
Amazon Author Central: www.amazon.com/author/janetsketchley

Purchase links for Secrets and Lies are included on the book's page on my website (above) but if you'd prefer specific store links, here they are:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your email as well as your name if you are entering a giveaway. After all, if you win, I need to let you know!