Sunday, December 7, 2014

My Writing Process Blog Hop

Renee Blare
Renee Blare

Welcome to Inspirational Moments!

This week, I'm participating in the Writing Process Global Blog Hop. I talk a bit about my writing. From what I'm working on to why I write what I do and, yes...my writing process. So keep reading and join the fun like a few friends of mine have!

1. What am I working on?

What am I not? LOL God has a way of giving you what you ask for…
First…let’s see…I’m a pharmacist by day. Our small town has the only available pharmacy for miles. Therefore, my job’s a treasure, not only for me but also those I serve.
Second…my writing. Yes, I write and I love it!

My first publication, Beast of Stratton’s due out in March. My editor and Prism Book Group’s great to work with, and I’m gearing up for the release as we speak. What a process!

Raging Waters
Raging Waters
I’m currently editing the first book in my series, the Snowy Range Chronicles which is due to be published later next year. I finished the rough draft of the second book last month. It will need some serious editing before I can send it off though.
In the wings? I’m really excited about a novella I’ll start writing in January. I’m calling it Racing Hearts. I’m hashing out character sketches and plot schemes now. I've already signed a contract with Prism Book Group for this one as well.

 2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?

Intensity

I love romance and suspense. But throw in some mystery and with all three, you may have the makings of one of my novels. Several people have described my writing as “cryptic.” I like that word. But I'll toss another one out there with it...intense. I'll let you find out how. ;)

 3. Why do I write what I do?

I’m a Christian, first. So if you read one of my books, please know that it’s a Christian book. What type? How about a real one?

Grand Teton
Grand Teton
What does man do when confronted with trials and tribulations…
the imperfect life? How does he/she cope? If at all? Because life can be ugly. I strive to show this concept in a realistic way.
Christians are real people with dreams and aspirations…and yes, faults. We laugh and cry…fight and spite. And when the wild side of mankind meets the Forgiven, whether it be a simple act of kindness or the mere words of a brother or sister in Christ…the impact can transform a person.

I don’t preach. That's not my job. So God's put it in my heart to show the world through the written word that He's alive. And here today. And His love's free for all to experience in their lives. Especially us imperfect ones.

4. How does my writing process work?

What a question!

The first step? Prayer. Lots of prayer. And then, believe it or not, most of my ideas usually materialize at night. I can’t explain it, but the Lord shows me what He wants me to write through my dreams. I wake up and jot down the major plot points and when I get up in the morning or at the earliest convenience, I discuss them with my husband…especially any Scriptural context or connotations. He’s the spiritual leader of our house. I seek his counsel before and during any project.

And then the work begins.

the Journey
And so it begins...
I start with my setting and my character sketches. (Yes, my setting's a character. It changes, grows, and has a personality of its own, especially in my series.) I pick out some names (subject to change at the beginning) and make a loose outline, if you can call it that. It’s more of a timeline. I have some major events in my head so I write them down. Believe it or not, that thing helps me stay on task.
Then I let go and start writing…it’s at this point I’m a SOTP (Seat-of-the-Pants) writer. I have no clue what’s going to happen from chapter to chapter except for those major events I wrote on the timeline. It makes for some serious editing and rewrites at the end of it all, but it’s a lot of fun. I love the editing process.

I’ve only had a problem one time. I looked at my WIP (Work-in-Progress) and said to myself, “This makes no sense!” Two chapters of work landed in the Recycle Bin. Really! That’s how bad it was. (I won’t rewrite a beginning again. Not until I'm finished with the rough draft.)

After I’m done (or close) with the rough draft, I submit my chapters to my critique group and when I have their feedback, I edit. And edit…and edit…And then rewrite. And edit…and edit…The cycle continues until I’m happy with the manuscript. This process may take a while (unless my editor needs the ms like…now!).

When the story seems to make sense (LOL), I put a synopsis together, and a proposal, maybe a blurb…and submit it to my editor.

That’s my writing process. Kind of tedious I know, but it’s mine.

Now discover these authors and their writing process as they continue the blog hop: Lynn Lovegreen, Delores Leisner, and Erin Unger.
Author Lynn Lovegreen
Lynn Lovegreen
Lynn Lovegreen’s Blog Hop – December 6, 2014
Lynn Lovegreen grew up in Alaska, and still lives there. She taught for twenty years before retiring to make more time for writing. She enjoys her friends and family, reading, and hitting targets with a cowboy action shooting club. Her young adult historical romances are set in the Alaska Gold Rush, a great time for drama, romance, and independent characters. See her website at www.lynnlovegreen.com. You can also find her on Facebook and Pinterest.

Delores Leisner
Delores Leisner
Delores Leisner’s Blog Hop – December 15, 2014
Writing, Speaking or as God’s delivery girl, Delores lives life passionately and humorously revealing dynamic hope and confidence found in the heritage of our personal God. She writes from Racine, WI. Is a CLASS graduate, and has published hundreds of stories, devotionals and articles as columnist, freelance writer, and teacher.  Delores is represented by Linda Glaz of Hartline Literary Agency. Her writing benefits the Fullness of Life Foundation, Scottsdale, AZ – which provides treatment funding for children with life-threatening illness.
Contact her at website/blog Be The Miracle at http://deloresliesner.com or email delores7faith@yahoo.com.
Delores Christian Liesner
~ Putting Hands and Feet to our Faith ~
Writer – Reviewer – Columnist - Proofreading & Editing
Be The Miracle – http://deloresliesner.com
Represented by: LINDA GLAZ
Literary agent with Hartline Literary Agency


Erin Unger
Erin Unger
Erin Unger’s Blog Hop – December 14, 2014
Writing was the gift God handed me one day when I felt lost and purposeless. My story isn’t quite like that of other writers. Yes, I loved to write even when I was young, but it wasn’t until I turned 27 that I found my gift. And it didn’t come easy. How was I to become a writer? That was an ethereal idea. I realized it could happen with the hand of God directly involved. Now I’ve grown so much as a writer. The dream I hope to see become a reality is to write great stories that will not only give people a getaway for a few hours but will leave life lessons with them as they read.

All post pictures by: Renee Blare www.reneeblare.com
Author pictures courtesy of said authors

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your email as well as your name if you are entering a giveaway. After all, if you win, I need to let you know!