The Coffee Corner Welcomes Carole Towriss

A Touch of Relaxation

Hello, everyone, welcome back to the Coffee Corner. We have an awesome guest today, Carole Towriss. So pour a cup and gather round… And here we go!

Hi, Carole, welcome to the Coffee Corner. It’s such an honor to have you here. Thank you so much for coming today. How has the summer been treating you?

Our summer has been busy. My oldest is getting ready for a semester in Italy. My second just returned from a youth mission trip to Ecuador. Right now we are in Colorado visiting some National Parks. And school starts in two weeks!

Summer? What summer? Wow, you have been busy. I sure hope your trip to Colorado was relaxing and joyful. The Rocky Mountains carry a special place in my heart (although I prefer the ranges a little farther north). There’s nothing like majestic peaks reaching for the sky or gazing at a starlit night above the ponderosa pines.
Although my family hasn’t been globe-trotting, I can relate to the busy summer. I relocated back to Wyoming last month. No time is no time. I’m sure you’ve heard the infamous words “time management.” Do you have any words of wisdom?

No! I have four kids and a husband, so, no.

Sorry, I don’t mean to laugh at your answer, Carole. But sometimes it’s nice to hear someone else in the same boat. I may not have four children at home and yes, my husband’s like my right arm but between my job as a pharmacist and writing, time isn’t my friend. Is there hope for us? I’ll keep praying. And I’ll add you to my list.
By the way… speaking of writing, how did you start writing and why biblical fiction?

I got the idea for my first novel when I was reading in Exodus about Bezalel, the man who built the Ark of the Covenant. The Bible tells us nothing about him except he was of the tribe of Judah, the son of Uri, the grandson of Hur. I started wondering, how does a slave who made bricks know how to craft something like that? So I created a life for him. And then I thought of other stories like that. There are so many characters like that, so many stories in the Bible yet to be told.

I loved it too. You have a gift for bringing the characters of the Bible to life. So what is your latest one about?

By the Waters of Kadesh is the story of the spies Moses sent to check out the Promised Land—actually it’s the story of one spy, one of the ten who said the land could not be conquered after God said he would give it to Israel. It’s also the story of an Egyptian soldier who escaped with Israel (the Bibles says a “mixed multitude” went out with them), and a young widow.

This one sounds as awesome as the last one. How do you do it? Do you think we can have a sneak peek?

Chapter One

8th day of Ziv, Spring
Wilderness of Zin
Tirzah slipped out of the tent, her bare feet sinking into the warm, coarse sand. She dragged the flaps down and tied them together to shut out the fading evening light, and tiptoed away. She cast a look at Gaddiel sitting on the other side of the campfire as she sank to the ground and reached for a cold manna cake from the stack on the plate. The sweet, honeyed taste filled her mouth as she bit into it.
She glanced past the rows of tents at the barren sand surrounding them as she chewed. Not a single sign of life broke through the gravelly sand; nothing could endure the blistering sun or evaporating winds of summer. Very little had survived the long, dry season of her life, either.
The setting summer sun cast long, twisted shadows of the flames onto her tent. The fire danced and skipped. When was the last time she had that much energy? She was tired … so tired. She could barely hold her head up to take another bite. How did she get to this point? Why did Yahweh let things get this bad?
She shoved the rest of the cake in her mouth. At least she liked the taste of manna, unlike most of those around her. One more and then a little goat’s milk. Maybe she could get some sleep tonight. She closed her eyes and let her head fall onto her raised knees, her long hair tumbling about her shoulders.
A plaintive cry broke the stillness.
Naomi. Tears pooled in Tirzah’s eyes. She delayed one more moment before putting her hand to the hot ground to push herself up.
Gaddiel glared at her, his dark eyes flashing from beneath bushy brows.
“I’m sorry. I’ll quiet her.”
Her brother-in-law rose and disappeared into his own tent, pitched next to hers.
She hustled into the tent. The child sat on her mat, eyes darting about, breathing raggedly, tears streaming down her face.
“Hush, habibti. Back to sleep.”
“I’m scared.” Naomi rubbed her fists into her eyes.
“I know. But it’s all right. I’m here now. Back to sleep.” Tirzah eased her back down and lay next to her. She pulled her close and rubbed circles on the little girl’s tummy to comfort her until the child, not fully awake, rolled over and drifted off.
Her twin sister lay fast asleep on the other side of her, undisturbed by the noise and movement.
But Tirzah stared at the green stripe around the tent’s roof for hours.
Again.


What do you think, folks? I know I can’t wait to read it!

Carole, I know you’re busy with writing and your family, but in the calm, more still moments, what do you like to do? You know… for relaxation… for fun?

I like to cook. I love to go to the beach. I like chick flicks. I love chocolate and Mexican food.

Ahhh… the beach. I love the beach. I wish you all the sand between your toes you can stand! As far as the art of cooking, well, can I punt that one? I’m not much of a chef. I can bake. Does that count? Chocolate, what kind? Chick flicks and Mexican… together or apart, or do you like chocolate and chick flicks? Just kidding! As long as you enjoy some relaxation in that busy life of yours, that’s all that matters.
With Labor Day coming up, I started thinking of holidays. People enjoy some more than others for various reasons. My favorite holiday’s Easter. I walked for years without Christ, going the motions of a believer, deceiving all around me. Easter reminds me of how and why I’m saved… by the blood of Jesus Christ. What’s your favorite holiday, Carole?

Christmas. I love Christmas. I love how everything about the gospel begins with Christmas, with God coming to us, seeking us out before we even knew He was coming.

Isn’t it amazing? He walked among us, healed us, nurtured, and delivered us. All because He first loved us. He truly is an awesome God.
Thank you so much for coming to the Corner. One last question before you can dump your coffee and run out the door, I promise. Any other awesome stories we have to look forward to?

I've finished the third book, and my awesome agent, Karen Ball is looking for a home for that one. I’m working on the fourth.


Well, I’m sure I speak for everyone when I say, I’m sure it will find one soon and I can’t wait to read it! Thanks again for swinging by the Coffee Corner.



Enter via the Rafflecopter below for your chance to win a signed paperback copy of Carole's new release,
By the Waters of Kadesh!

Drawing will be August 24th.




About the Book:




Kamose, once Egypt’s most trusted soldier, no longer has a country to serve or king to protect. Moses insists God has a plan for him, but Kamose is not so sure. Tirzah’s cruel husband died shortly after they left Egypt. She escaped his brutality, but now she’s alone, and once they reach their new land, how will she survive? Gaddiel, Tirzah’s brother-in-law, is chosen as one of the twelve spies sent to scout out Canaan. He’s supposed to go in, get information, and come back, but all he really wants is to bring down Joshua.

Buy links
Autographed print copies: http://caroletowriss.com/books


About the Author:


Carole Towriss grew up in beautiful San Diego, California. Now she and her husband live just north of Washington, DC. In between making tacos and telling her four children to pick up their shoes for the third time, she reads, watches chick flicks, writes and waits for summertime to return to the beach. You can find her at www.CaroleTowriss.com.

Twitter: @CaroleTowriss
email: carole@caroletowriss.com



Lead photo credit: HalasiZsolt via photopin cc

Comments

  1. Hi, Carole. I couldn't wait to read the book so I bought it! You tell a great story and your characters are warm and believable. I too love walking on the beach, cooking, and eating chocolate. Though as Renee pointed out, not necessarily at the same time. Sand in my chocolate? No thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dana! (You can always cook with chocolate!)

      Delete
  2. What's your favorite scene in the book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's really hard. There are so many. When Kamose comes home is a favorite. That was based on an experience of mine when my husband came home from covering the 10th anniversary of the fall of Saigon in 1985. He had gotten very ill and lost 30 pounds. He'd been gone 6 weeks and I hadn't spoken to him the whole time. When I first saw him I never saw how bad he looked because I was just so happy he was home. He went home for his grandmother's funeral a couple weeks later and his mom cried when she saw him because he looked so bad!

      Delete
  3. How have you researched to find out historical details and setting???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question, Debbie. I can't wait to hear the answer myself.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please leave your email as well as your name if you are entering a giveaway. After all, if you win, I need to let you know!

Popular Posts