Saturday, August 2, 2014

Brooke's Blog Tour on Inspirational Moments

"Someone Always Loved You" Blog Tour



Brooke Williams - Author
Follow Brooke’s Book Blog Tour August 1-15 on her website here.




Welcome to Inspirational Moments, Brooke. I’m so happy my blog can be a stop along the way on your book tour.

Thank you so much for having me, it’s an honor that you have opened your blog up to me today!

You’re very welcome. Believe me when I say, the honor’s all mine. I’m excited to have you here. I don’t have many book tours pop in. What can you tell us about your book, "Someone Always Loved You?"

I always wanted to write a book about someone in a coma and speculate on what they could hear or whether or not they had memories. The idea was in the back of my mind for years and years. Then, once I formed a career in radio, the prologue for the book hit and I HAD to write it down. After that, I felt I owed it to the idea to finish it. “Someone Always Loved You” was born!
It’s about a man who, on his first day as an ambulance driver, hits a pedestrian. She is thrown into a coma and he keeps a constant vigil at her side. The book has plenty of love (though not between the ones you would expect), there are many surprises as well. Some of the smaller characters have interesting side stories that come out and you will even find deeper issues like adoption, substance abuse, mental illness. It deals with a lot of emotions and readers will likely find something they relate to within the storyline.

It sounds like a great story. Do you think we can have a peek?

Sure…

PROLOGUE

            The bright yellow taxi nearly took the curve on two wheels.  She told the driver that getting there fast was a matter of life or death.  She just didn’t want to lose her own life in the process.  She thought longingly of her car, up on blocks at the mechanics where it had been stationed for nearly a week.  Glancing out the window and seeing another curve coming, she cursed herself for not maintaining her vehicle properly.  Bracing herself for the turn, she held back tears as the phone call re-played itself in her mind.
            “Mrs. James?”
            “Yes.”
            “This is Memorial Hospital. Your husband had a heart attack. He just arrived a few moments ago…his condition is critical.”
            “Is he going to be okay?”
            “We just don’t know at this point.”
            She clenched her eyes shut as she remembered how her own heart nearly stopped beating as she heard those words….heart attack…critical condition…don’t know.
            The taxi had to get her there.  She needed to tell him before it was too late.  Even if he didn’t live, he had to know before he died.  Even if he couldn’t hear her, she was going to try.
            As she thought about the exact words she would use, the taxi jolted to a stop across from the towering emergency building.  She glanced at its massive presence with a sense of dread.    
She threw bills at the driver, not waiting for change.  After the fancy curve work, the driver deserved every extra penny.  In her rush, she didn’t bother to look both ways.  In her terror, she didn’t hear the siren.

*          *          *          *
          
             It was his first day on the job.  He had studied the maps for days at a time and he knew the city streets better than the back of his hand.  He knew the fastest routes at every time of day.  His first passenger would not die on his clock.  Not a chance.  With the siren blaring, he drove swiftly, but gently, so the emergency medical technician in the back could work without disruption.
            “She’s losing a lot of blood, Jay,” the EMT shouted.  “We gotta get there fast, man!”
            “Not a problem,” Jay replied.  “I called ahead.  They have her blood type ready.  Plus we’re already there.”
            Jay only glanced back for a moment.  He just wanted to see the look on the seasoned EMT’s face as the man realized he’d just taken the quickest ambulance ride of his career right through the city during rush hour. 
            The woman darted out of nowhere.  In his glory, Jay never saw her. 
            The second he looked away had been one second too long.  As his eyes fastened back on the road ahead, the ambulance pulled under the emergency room over hang, and he caught the worry in her eyes an instant before the impact.  The sickening sound jolted him backward into his seat. 


Oh, wow… you already have me running for the store. I’m not kidding! I can’t wait to read it. After finally deciding to yield to the ideas spinning in your head, did you experience many challenges while writing this novel?

I was working in radio full-time when I wrote it so time was a challenge. All I wanted to do was sit and write it, but I certainly couldn’t quit my day job! Another challenge was that I was desperate to find out what was going to happen myself! I didn’t sit around and plot things out. They unfolded as I typed. It was hard for me to wait for what was yet to come.

I can relate to every single one of those, Brooke. I work full-time and write whenever I possibly can. Plotting’s also a rare experience for me. While I’ve tried to do it, my stories don’t stick to any plot I put on paper. They tend to have a life of their own and surprise me almost every time I put the pen to the page (or fingers to the keyboard, so to speak). Do you have any interesting stories about the writing of your book?

I wrote it in about a month, maybe a month and a half. There are a lot of stories in the book that came from my life or my background. One couple in the book, for example, meets on the internet. My husband and I met on the internet. The woman in the coma has a lot of memories from growing up and many of those things were things that happened to me. Some of the other items, however, are totally made up. It was fun to use my experiences and blend them with things that came out of my head.

Now that sounds cool. Even more reason to read it. (Not that I’m nosy.) I think it’s so neat that "Someone Always Loved You" contains more than just your writing. It literally holds pieces of you. I know you’ve written other novels since this one. What makes this book different than the others you’ve written?

This book is unlike anything else I have ever written. It’s the first thing I ever wrote, novel-wise and it will always be close to my heart. It includes more personal stories than anything else I’ve written. And it is more intricate in design and plot. Now, I work with a smaller plotline that deals with just one or two things and is more streamlined. This plot has a lot of depth to it, which is really complicated to pull together. It is also something I wrote because I was so driven to write it I couldn’t NOT write it. The other things I’ve written, I’m inspired to write, but they don’t generally keep me awake at night like this one did.

My plots will wake me up at night, but only one storyline has ever kept me awake. I’ll have to tell you about that one someday. On a personal note, what’s a day in the life of Brooke Williams like?

Craziness on all sides! I get up around 5-5:30am in hopes of getting a quick run in before my youngest girl starts to rise. The baby is generally up by 6 or a bit before or after. My older daughter (age 5) gets up at 7 on the dot most days.
I spend all day, every day feeding, clothing, bathing, playing with, and enjoying them. My older daughter doesn’t really nap anymore, but I’ve been a stickler about nap time so she still goes to her room and plays for an hour or more in the afternoon while the baby naps. This, for my writing, has been a saving grace. That’s when I get freelance articles done for clients and fiction done.
So in short, my day starts at 5am and ends at 9 or 10pm whenever I pass out cold from the activities of the day. I’d love more time for writing, but I know both my girls will be in school in a few years and then I’ll miss this time. At that time, I will have more writing time than I will know what to do with!

You sound like a busy mama. Whoever asks the question, “You don’t work?” when someone has children needs to pay attention. It’s a full-time job with lots and lots of overtime (and no paid vacations). Although, I’m so happy you have the time you do with them even though your writing takes a hit.
Speaking of writing, what’s next on the agenda for "Someone Always Loved You?" For you?

I really just want more exposure for “Someone Always Loved You.” This blog tour is the first major thing I’ve done to promote it, though I wrote it years ago. The tour is also good practice for me since I have several books coming out with a couple of different publishers in the near future.
“Wrong Place, Right Time” on December 9th from The Writer’s Coffee Shop.
“Accept this Dandelion” Feb 2015 from Prism Book Group.
“Mamarazzi” August 2015 from Prism Book Group.
“Baby Sheep Gets a Haircut” from Wee Creek Press in Feb 2016.
The first three are romantic comedies. The last is a children’s book. As for what’s next for me, writing as much as I can. Enjoying my girls as much as they’ll let me. Biding my time until I can take my writing business to the next level.
I have so many ideas, it’s hard to know where to start. For now, I can only do what I can do in the hour a day I have available. But in the future, watch out!


I will definitely do that, Brooke! Thanks for stopping by Inspirational Moments on your tour. It’s been a true pleasure and deep honor.

****GIVEAWAY****


Don’t miss your chance to win a Kindle copy of "Someone Always Loved You!" Enter via Rafflecopter today!



About the Book:

His first day on the job, ambulance driver Jay has a horrible accident. The victim of the crash is thrown into a coma and Jay keeps vigil by her side. As their lives, past and present intertwine; a story of love through time unfolds. An intricate drama including adoption, love, suspense, and plenty of questions, Someone Always Loved You is a novel that keeps the mind churning and the soul alive.

  

About the Author:

Brooke Williams is an award-winning author and freelance writer. She began her career in radio, both on the air and behind the scenes. She did a brief stint in TV news and then took on her most challenging job as a stay at home mom. During the few quiet hours in her day, Brooke writes articles for a number of clients as well as fiction creations such as “Someone Always Loved You.” Brooke has also written “Beyond the Bars,” a thriller, “God in the Kitchen,” a Christian novel, and “Taxi Delivery,” a Christian Romance. Brooke looks forward to the December 9th release of “Wrong Place, Right Time,” a romantic comedy and the February 2015 release of “Accept this Dandelion” inspired by the Bachelor TV show. Brooke has been married to her husband Sean since 2002 and has two daughters, Kaelyn and Sadie.

Links:

Website:

Facebook:

Goodreads:

Someone Always Loved You amazon link:

Email:
authorbrookewilliams@gmail.com


5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me today, Renee! It's an honor to be featured on your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a very interesting book. Thank you for the chance to win.
    susanmsj at msn dot com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your email as well as your name if you are entering a giveaway. After all, if you win, I need to let you know!