Saturday, June 28, 2014

Special Guest: Megan Besing's Take the Quiz



I’m Katniss Everdeen. I’m also Anna from the movie Frozen. My life theme song’s Under the Sea, and apparently, I’m living in the wrong state…
Or at least that’s what I was told after spending way too much time answering those online quizzes. You know the ones. They beckon you on Facebook and Twitter, popping up on everyone’s feeds with enticingly bright colors and catchy phrases. To answer ten questions and BAM!, be given a life altering answer. You know, like, which Disney movie you truly belong.
Please don’t tell me I’m the only one who surrenders to the temptation of finding out which type of Barbie I am.  Classic, in case you’re wondering.
Fine. I admit it. I love those silly things.
Sometimes I totally agree with the results; other times I fold over my arms in defiance, and too often I’m left confused.  Not so much at the results but in the process. How in the world would answering a question about my favorite fruit tell me I have a ‘Selflessly Caring’ personality? Seriously, that’s stretching it, even for someone who loves taking them.  But online social networks aren’t the only places where we can find quizzes.
Have you taken this quiz: “Which Soil Are You?”  In Matthew Chapter 13, Jesus teaches a parable of the sower. Can you see where I’m going with this? Yes, the Bible has quizzes for us too.  Surprise! After reading this scripture, we can find our quiz results. Are we the compact path, rocky soil, soil choked with thorns, or the good soil? (Hint: we want to be the good soil. We want to be the one who hears the gospel, understands it, and blossoms to produce an abundant harvest.)
Or what about “The Wife of Noble Character Quiz?” Proverbs Chapter 31’s fully loaded with questions asking if we work vigorously, speak with wisdom, and don’t worry about tomorrow. Before you feel overwhelmed by the long list of attributes, remember this woman never actually existed; she’s who we strive to be as a wife and mother. Glancing around my house at the piles of…well, unkemptness, I’ll catch a whiff of my attitude while I’m loading the dishwasher for the billionth time. I’m not too often enthusiastic about my mundane chores. Are you?
What about “The Full Armor Quiz” in Ephesians Chapter 6? Or Galatians Chapter 5’s “The Fruits of The Spirit?”  A trip to Walmart with my munchkins in tow generally proves I frequently fail at that one.
After taking these “quizzes” in the Bible, I may not always like my end results. My life doesn’t always mirror the scriptures as it should. But one thing differs between the Bible’s quizzes and worldly quizzes. The Bible’s quizzes do contain life altering answers!
Do I have a clue how answering my favorite color’s pink makes me most like Pocahontas or more like Rachel than Monica from Friends?  No!  But despite the great fun I have taking those online quizzes, I’ll always crack open my Bible and take "The Living Like Jesus Quiz." Because that’s a quiz I need each day.



About the Author:


When Megan Besing isn't spending time with her husband, chasing after their munchkins, or running her photography business, she’s writing YA novels. 

You can find her short stories in Splickety Love’s 1.1 and 1.2 issues and her regular guest reviews at Edgy Inspirational Romance. Megan teaches youth and plays the piano at church, has an unhealthy love of vanilla cokes, and could really use more sleep.




Twitter: @meganbesing

5 comments:

  1. What an interesting way to compare those not so important quizzes to the stuff that really counts! Love the analogy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun post. Had to laugh; I've taken a few but do resist most of them. :) Still, being established that I'm a winner in life and a few skeptical titles is fun for while it lasts. Good thing we know the Bible's quiz for us is the valuable one! Thanks for a great post, Megan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one, isn't it? I have to admit, I succumb to the temptation of the 'quiz.' But I love Megan's Bible quizzes even more. :)

      Delete

Please leave your email as well as your name if you are entering a giveaway. After all, if you win, I need to let you know!