Saturday, May 10, 2014

GUEST: Sherri Wilson Johnson's The Right Door; The Wrong Way



Recently, I was in downtown Atlanta with my son for an appointment and went to the restroom. When I got into the stall, the latch bolt wouldn't slide across into the keeper because it was misaligned. I had no way to lock the door and wasn't doing my business with it unlocked. So I decided to change stalls. However, the door wouldn't open.

I panicked!

I was stuck in the stall.

In a bathroom in downtown Atlanta.

With my son waiting out in the hall.

How in the world was I going to get out? I pushed and pushed. Squeezed and squeezed. Finally, I made my way out of the stall and into the one beside it.

As I unlocked the door of stall #2, I realized something profound—the door opened by pulling it into the stall. In stall #1, I was forcing the door open by trying to PUSH it. I'm pretty sure I broke the hinges on that door. You should've seen my son's face when I told him what I'd done.

And then something else hit me. Instead of feeling like idiots when we push through a door before God has opened it or assuming we're going through a wrong door, maybe we need to look at it like we're simply going through it the wrong way. Maybe we don't need to push so hard (or at all). Maybe we're right where we're supposed to be for this season (the whole "God's timing is perfect" thing). Perhaps we need to change our approach to a situation.

The wonderful thing about God is that He's patient and waits for us to figure things out. He always gives instructions. We just need to listen. Had I not been in such a hurry to use the restroom, I'd have noticed that I was pushing the door instead of pulling it.

Most recently in my life, this has applied to my writing. When I've gotten a rejection, my gut reaction is to blame it on the market or the narrow-mindedness of the editors. When I stop and think about it, I almost always see there's something I could do differently to make it better. Sometimes, I see the timing’s not right.

This applies to all areas of our lives. Jobs. Friendships. Ministry. Love. What door might you be trying to push through that perhaps you're not doing it the right way or it's just not the right time?

By Sherri Wilson Johnson


GIVEAWAY

For an e-copy of To Dance Once More
Enter Now via Rafflecopter!





About the Book: (the prize)


When Victorian debutante, Lydia Barrington, accidentally discovers that her father has promised her to the son of an unscrupulous businessman in payment for his own debts, she must make the biggest decision of her life…to concede or to fight. To Dance Once More explores the possibilities for a young woman, who longs to find God’s will for her life, yet is faced with a decision that will change her life forever. If she follows her heart, she disobeys her father; if she abides by her father’s wishes, she betrays herself.

About the Author:

Sherri Wilson Johnson lives in Georgia with her husband and two children. She loves dreaming of romantic places and romance in general–good, clean romance. She is a bird-watcher, loves the ocean, roller coasters, ice cream, her family and her Chihuahua. She is a writer, blogger, virtual assistant, freelance editor and a former homeschooling mom. Sherri is the author of To Dance Once More (OakTara), Song of the Meadowlark (OakTara) and To Laugh Once More (ChooseNOW Publishing, Dec 2014), and is a columnist for Habits for a Happy Home and Choose NOW Ministries.



Leading picture courtesy of  http://www.freedigitalphotos.net


7 comments:

  1. I need to learn to "pull" instead of "push". Thank you for the post. What a great way of looking at things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great illustration Sherri. I hope I'm not pulling instead of pushing my way through this writing thing either. May God bless you on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, I think we all are guilty of pushing when we need to pull and pulling when we need to push every now and then, haha!! God bless!

      Delete
  3. I could see myself doing that and not being to even think about getting out through the other stall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Susan! Thanks for entering the giveaway and all your support! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your email as well as your name if you are entering a giveaway. After all, if you win, I need to let you know!