Saturday, March 1, 2014

Why Read A Book?




Why not? My son says they put him to sleep. So if you have insomnia, go for it! Pick one up. It could be your new sleep aid. Or you may find yourself hooked. To reading.

What’s the purpose of the written word? For many years of our lives, it’s learning. We attend school and read textbook after textbook. Some even proceed to higher levels of education where they may study the Classics or the Sciences.

Thus we have one purpose for reading: a valuable tool for instruction. But there must be more… Surely boring days bent over a textbook isn’t the only reason to read? Absolutely not.

I mentioned the Classics. What are the Classics, you ask? Have you heard of Homer, or Plato or Sophocles? These works and works like them, written in Greek and Latin, are inspirational in nature. Lyrical or poetic, they moved and motivated their audience the day they were written just as they continue to do today.

Now I’m not saying to learn Greek and Latin. I’m not even telling you to buy a copy of Homer’s Odyssey. But if you need inspiration, read. Go to a bookstore, library, or online. (Even if you swore you’d never set foot in one again after graduation.) Find the Christian section of Inspiration/Devotionals and go for it!

But why else would anyone want to crack a book? I mean, think about it. We have television. I know, I know. It's not all that; with the reality shows and drama. Sorry, I drifted there. Then we have the social media craze. No one’s more than two inches from their phones these days. And games…PS3 million, or whatever model it is now, the virtual game thing's still going strong. So why would anyone read a book?

Fictional stories entertain the reader. I lift the cover on my favorite author's latest release and enter another world. For a little while, I can relax. Whether it’s to the highlands of Scotland or the dusty lands of the wild west, the worries of the world slip away.

Even then, I find another reason to open a Book; guidance. Insecurity, fear, and doubt are my companions in the morning hours. I turn the pages with an old Friend. His arms wrap around me while He shows the solutions and answers my questions, even the ones I never ask.

Why read a book? Knowledge, inspiration, entertainment and above all, guidance may be found within one's pages. Why not? If nothing else, you’ll get a good night’s sleep. ;)




The question of the…blog: Do you like to read or not? And why/what?





Job 19:23-24  “Oh, that my words were written! Oh, that they were inscribed in a book! That they were engraved on a rock With an iron pen and lead, forever!”



photo credit: thekellyscope via photopin cc

3 comments:

  1. Everyone knows why I love to read... I've been reading since I could open a book. I read anything and everything except gore...and graphic smut. YUCK! I prefer relatively clean romance. I am a Christian. :) NEXT...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee,
    I can't picture a life without books...love to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither! I love them as well. :) Thanks for the post.

      Delete

Please leave your email as well as your name if you are entering a giveaway. After all, if you win, I need to let you know!