The Coffee Corner: God and Fantasy with Angie Brashear

A Touch of  Relaxation

Welcome to the Coffee Corner, one and all! I have a special guest today. Besides the French Vanilla roast my son brought home, that is. Grab a cup and get ready. I have some Earl Grey over here if anyone wants a spot. And here she is, Angie Brashear.


Hi there, Angie. Welcome to the Corner. Before we get started, I have to ask…which do you like more? Coffee or tea?


While I love the smell of coffee, I definitely prefer tea. My friends in Texas insist it’s one of my New England vices. LOL.


Well it’s a good thing I keep some around then. I do agree. Coffee does have a wonderful smell. I like tea as well though. I see you have a new release coming soon. Can you share a snippet of Never Let Go with us?

Laila Pennedy’s heart pounded.

The noose pinched her neck and she fought for breath. Muffled voices drifted from the crowd as she looked down the line of captives. More than fifty Faithfuls hung limp, swaying above the platform. She stood on a large wooden barrel in the middle of the line. So many would die today.

Beyond the mass of enemies, archers congregated amidst scattered stone cottages and log homes in the quaint village. Farther in the distance, the morning sun shone on the peaks of the Willow Mountains—her refuge since the Faithfuls lost the War of Submission. What wouldn’t she give to be in the coolness of the upper forest, in exile with other Faithfuls. Safe from the enemy.

Here she was anything but safe and cool. Rivulets of sweat trickled down her legs inside fitted suede pants and into knee-high leather boots. Her shirt clung to her skin, the once beautiful cloth now ragged and frayed. Her long, matted hair stuck to her face and neck. So much for the gorgeous blonde locks her mother once adored.

“Laila,” her older brother rasped.

She forced herself to look into Niles’s tear-filled, deep green eyes and shuddered at the noose around his neck. She tried to reach out to him one last time, but her arms were bound too tightly behind her back. Soreness strained her shoulders. Her raw wrists stung under the taut rope, which had ripped open her skin.

“I’m sorry, Sissy,” Niles mouthed.

Sorry? She shook her head. No, this was her fault.


Wow. That sounds like an awesome book. I can’t wait to read it. How did you come up with the idea for a fantasy book like Never Let Go?


When I was in the fifth grade, my teacher read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis aloud to my primarily secular class. In doing so, she opened my eyes to adventure and possibilities, all the while helping me escape a world of darkness for a short time. At its conclusion, I wondered, Is God real?

I continued to speculate. Each time God placed believers in my path—a high school teacher, a college friend, and a college coach—my fascination with the possibility grew stronger until the truth stunned me like a slap to the face. God indeed lives in the form of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. He rescues. He saves. And He waited for me. Then He embraced me. It all started with a little seed, planted in the empty heart of the girl I once was. A love for reading expanded to a love for writing. A desire to know God became a desire to serve Him, to reach nonbelievers. And Never Let Go was born.


Praise the Lord. And I’m so thankful. For you and for the many souls who will read your book. For the readers today, if you could describe yourself in one word, what would it be and why?


Loyal. I’m faithful to all of my commitments and transparent with the people involved.


What a wonderful quality to have, Angie. So many people fall short of such integrity in the world today, don’t they? It can be discouraging…

And then the month of February rolls around. The month of love. Everywhere I looked last week, I saw hearts and roses. How do you picture the perfect Valentine’s Day?


Ah, Valentine’s Day. Though my debut novel, Never Let Go, includes a strong thread of romance, I’m not a romantic in my everyday life. For me, the perfect Valentine’s Day would be a quiet evening at home chatting with my husband—without interruptions from our wonderful children or colleagues.


Sorry, I had to laugh at that one. When you said you weren’t a romantic, you reminded me of my husband. He actually asked me that night (Valentine’s Day) if I wanted him to get me flowers the next day since he’d forgotten to pick any up. I told him not to worry about it. In his defense, he did take me to a wonderful dinner the night before.

Okay, although you’re not a romantic, you are a writer. That makes you an ‘expert’ of sorts in someone’s eyes somewhere about relationships. Right? Any advice for the young’uns and the not-so young’uns out there searching for that special someone in their life?


Eeek! Relationship advice can be tricky. As in all situations, I believe we need to be patient and allow God’s plan to unfold.


Good idea! Do you hear that, folks? God’s plan not yours.

Well, thanks for stopping by the Coffee Corner, Angie. It’s been a true pleasure. Before you leave, I have one more question for the readers. I’m sure they will be interested to know. Do you have any new projects on the horizon?


I’m currently in the process of writing the second book in the Legends of the Woodlands trilogy. Further in the future, I plan to write a trilogy focused on a female protagonist’s path to salvation (in a fantasy setting, of course).


I’ll read the first book. Who knows, I may just have to read them all! You may get me hooked on fantasy. Thanks again for stopping by. May God bless you and your endeavors.





Never Let Go, Book One of the Legends of the Woodlands 
release date - June 3, 2014.







Inspirational Moments will review and host a giveaway for a copy of Never Let Go in June.



About the Book:

Captured by the Rendow Clan, who seek to slaughter those with faith in the Maker, Laila Pennedy awaits death. Moments before her execution, she is rescued from the gallows by Lars Landre and his dragon. Marked as The Chosen by his blue eyes, Lars is destined to lead the Faithful out of persecution.

Lars guides Laila on a harrowing race across The Woodlands to Tuveil, where the Faithful are preparing to fight a rebellion. But the secret location of the village is betrayed and the Rendow Clan’s army will soon be at the gates. Faced with this impeding peril, Laila trains for battle, but the struggles in her mind and heart may be as overwhelming as the war to come. Will she prove herself an asset or is she condemned to forever be a burden to those she loves?

Pre-order Never Let Go here.



About the Author:

When Angie Brashear isn’t working or taking care of her family, she writes. Usually at night after her kids fall asleep. She’s an avid reader and runner, both of which perplex her husband. Saved in her early twenties, Angie is grateful for the Lord’s presence in all aspects of her life. She is originally from Rockland, Maine and currently resides in Cameron, Texas with her husband and three children. Follow her at http://facebook.com/AngieBrashearAuthor, https://twitter.com/AngieBrashear, and http://angiebrashear.com



Lead photo credit: HalasiZsolt via photopin cc

Comments

  1. Hi Renee! Thanks for having me. I enjoyed visiting the Coffee Corner very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. Anything for my fellow local transplant (who knows, maybe there's hope for Texas after all). I'm just kidding all you Texans out there! LOL

      Delete
  2. Hi Renee! Thanks for updating my interview with the cover to my debut novel. The Lord has truly blessed me today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your email as well as your name if you are entering a giveaway. After all, if you win, I need to let you know!

Popular Posts