Sunday, January 19, 2014

Show, Don't Tell

© Janakadharmasena

As a writer, I see those words all the time…usually in bright red letters all over my work-in-progress. My crit partners don’t pull any punches, but then again, I like it that way. Actions speak louder than words. At least that’s what my grandmother always said. No one ever had the guts to look that woman in the eye and call her a liar when she was alive. I’m not about to call her one now.
But have you ever wondered why? Think about it for a second. Telling is so easy.
In writing, you tell the whole story in a matter of fact, quick way. Dot your ‘i’s, cross your ‘t’s, and you’re done. And if someone needs something? You offer the platitudes and advice needed, and don’t get involved. Stay in your own little world and take no chances, no risks. In reality, why would anyone want to do more?
After all, God said to spread His gospel right? What does actions have to do with telling people about Jesus?

Exo 9:16 (NJKV) But indeed for this purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.

God uses every Christian to be a beacon of light in this dying world. But for many people today, words have become an easy answer. When someone asks for help, we offer prayer.
When a person’s sick or near death, we offer prayer. When financial difficulties knock at the door, we offer prayer. When relationships falter, we offer prayer.
Words. To so many, this sacred and beautiful communion is reduced to simple words. Telling the Lord what He already knows when, as Christians, we can be doing so much more on our knees as intercessors or on our feet through the brethren in Christ.
I love the Lord. I love His people. I’m a prayer warrior. My heart’s burdened with showing the love Jesus has for this world before it’s too late. We can’t offer it empty words instead of reinforced action.
Show, don’t (just) tell.



Psalm 119:112 (NKJV) I have inclined my heart to perform Your statutes Forever, to the very end.


In Christ,

Renee

2 comments:

  1. Haven't ever thought about SHOW DON'T TELL in this light, but it is so true. If as Christians, we only TELL people of His love and we don't SHOW them, how strong is out testimony? How likely are they to be drawn to telling. How likely if we show them by being His servant in this world? Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Caryl. I believe what my grandmother told me. Actions speak so much louder than just words. By no means stop speaking of Christ's love, but reinforce it by what you do. A simple hug may mean more to someone than words ever will.

      Delete

Please leave your email as well as your name if you are entering a giveaway. After all, if you win, I need to let you know!