The Trip

Wyoming in Winter
Picture by Renee Blare

What a trip!

If I didn’t know better, I’d say I was back in Laramie. With the ruts and snowy slush built up on the roads, it was like I never left Wyoming. Even the drivers reminded me of my ole college town. Laramie is full of people who don’t know how to drive in the white stuff.

We went to Fort Worth last Friday. Now, before everyone hollers at me, I didn’t go for shopping or a pleasure trip. I’m not that crazy. We watched the weather and the road report then made a ton of phone calls to the appropriate parties before we left. No cancellations or rescheduled appointments were possible so we loaded up and headed out.

Appointments? For what, you ask? What would send you into an ice storm? I don’t mind telling you. My shoulder issue isn’t a secret. I had pre-surgical and registration appointments at a hospital in Fort Worth. I’ll be having major shoulder surgery on the 13th.

But that’s not the real story.

During this trip, we saw all kinds of crazy things. I-35 almost devoid of traffic, left-lane runners plowing through six inches of slush at fifteen miles an hour, but holding their lane, TXDOT snow-removal at its finest which amounted to a truck running over the snow pack with the tires.

As more and more people ventured onto the highways during the day, I became more and more tense. I-35 developed into an obstacle course. Spinouts, stuck vehicles, crashed cars, and freaked-out drivers made the trip home a nightmare.

Even with people flashing obscene gestures (instead of their hazards), my husband maneuvered through the traffic and the conditions like a pro. Our little Subaru handled the roads amazingly well. Although we had ice in the wheel wells and plastered on the side of the car, not once did he lose control.

The Lord knows what He’s doing. He’s the Provider and the Teacher. Those years in Wyoming provided the knowledge and taught us how to drive on those awful winter roads. Texas got a small taste of it this week. I’m sure it’s not the first time, and it won’t be the last.

Thank you, my wonderful husband. Thank You, my awesome God. Once again, I am humbled.

In Christ,



Renee

Comments

Popular Posts