Sunday, November 3, 2013

Pen to the Page: Advice

http://www.stockfreeimages.com/

Rev 21:4 “And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.”

The future…opportunity for the taking…or is it? A little hard for these weary eyes to see, at least at this particular moment in time. Sorry to sound so melancholy, but really…do you blame me?
I strive each day to put my pen to the page. Sometimes, it feels like a losing battle. The people around me grow by leaps and bounds while I struggle every step of the way. When I ask for guidance, I’m offered well-intentioned but vague notions or advice. Such things as “keep writing,” “don’t give up,” or “find your voice.” Important for a writer? Yes. Constructive?
I love to write so “giving up” or “not writing” aren’t options for me. I’d do it even if I wasn’t pursuing publication. As far as my “voice,” I’ve noticed one thing about breaking into the scene, and this may get me into trouble. People tend to want conformity instead of voice. Now, I’m not talking about semantics, grammar, or writing rules. My voice doesn’t seem that important to anyone because all that’s ever wanted? Edit it out. I shake my head in disbelief. Is this really what’s expected of writers?
When I’m at my day job, I see life in the form of true heroism. Veterans, returning from war, piecing their lives back together again, with or without the help of their own bodies or families. It makes my struggles seem rather small, especially when I don’t have a jacket to my name.
I’m reminded that there are bigger battles out there than publication.
Live and learn is my philosophy. It always has been. I’ll continue to learn the intricacies of the writing and publishing world until I figure out what’s expected. Even if I have to do it by myself. But look out, world when I do!

In Christ,


Renee

1 comment:

  1. Oookkayy... I sound a little pathetic here... anybody else sense a pity party? Sorry folks. It's called a time out. I'll be back to my old self soon, I promise. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your email as well as your name if you are entering a giveaway. After all, if you win, I need to let you know!