Saturday, September 28, 2013

It Matters

© Foto.fritz |

Have you ever wondered if people care? If anything really matters?
You wish you could shout from the rooftops. Scream at the top of your lungs. In the end, you walk away. Or settle for a whisper. You know that all you’ll receive for your effort is a sore throat.
After all, nobody really cares, nothing really matters. Right?
Wrong.
God cares. You matter.

I remember the moment I was saved.
No, not the day I heard of Jesus Christ. I’d heard His name my whole life. That name didn’t mean much to me. It was just another name in a book.
Now that I’ve made some ears burn and caused a few deep gasps of horror, stay with me.
As I said, I’d heard the name, Jesus, my whole life, even before I could talk. It joined a long list of other names in the scheme of things. I knew when to use it, when not to, and most important of all, how to use it.
In other words, I could talk the talk. I even managed to improvise on a few occasions and walk the talk, so to speak. Right down the aisle into the baptistery. After all, that’s what a good ‘christian’ does, right?
Then came adolescence. Acne, glasses, braces…all in one year! The world hit with a bang. We’d moved to a brand new one too. World, that is. From the bayou of Louisiana to the high plains of Wyoming, culture shock rocked me to my very toes.
So, I did the only thing I could. I rebelled in my own way. I didn’t drink or race fancy cars. I didn’t do drugs or gamble away my life savings. No, I was a good girl.
I went to church every Sunday and Wednesday, even to camp when I got the chance. I excelled in my studies. I threw myself into weight-lifting, and helping with the wrestling team. I didn’t even date that much.
On the outside, I was the model ‘christian,’except for one detail. I had the mouth of a gutter rat. I actually had a verbal agreement with my high school principal. “Keep it clean in the halls. Free reign at the games.” No, I’m not joking.
After the strain of adolescence snowballed into high school, (Appropriate connotation for Wyoming, wouldn’t you say?) life took on new challenges. Migraines, my father’s business issues, and family health crises made days in my household interesting, if not dangerous. A lot for a teenager to handle, but unavoidable.
Through some hard struggles, a few nosedives into depression, and a bout with suicide, the Lord never left my side. I realized he’d been there the whole time, but I still didn’t understand Him.
Action, action, action. That’s all it took, right? I graduated and threw myself into church with a passion. Choir, Sunday Worship, Wednesday Night Bible Study, Singles’ Group, all to no end. I was still confused. Then it happened.
One cold Thursday night, at Singles’ Group, we were studying Galatians. It was like a two-by-four to the head. All of a sudden, the years of Sunday School, all the children songs, hymns, sermons, everything—made sense.
I asked Jesus into my heart that night. I was saved. He may have been at my side, waiting…knocking. But that night, I let Him in.
I was, finally, a Christian. My life has never been the same.

If you’re asking yourself if God cares? He’s standing by your side right now. Waiting.
If you’re wondering if anything matters? Ask Him into your heart and find out. You’ll always matter to Him.

Gal 2:20 (NKJV)  “I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.”

In Christ,

Renee

2 comments:

  1. It's so easy to feel alone in this world that rushes from one thing to the next. I'm so thankful that when the lonely bug hits me I have Christ to remind me He's there. He cares. Thanks for the great testimony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too, Erin. Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete

Please leave your email as well as your name if you are entering a giveaway. After all, if you win, I need to let you know!