'Unanswered' Prayer


Psalm 49:20 (NKJV) “A man who is in honor, yet does not understand, is like the beasts that perish.”

Have you ever wondered if God even cares what happens down here on this little planet? I mean, really? This little blue ball in the midst of the great expanse is not exactly a huge target for the Great Almighty. He must have bigger items on His agenda.
I’ll admit I’ve thought about it. I gaze at the awesome celestial pictures on my Pinterest board and say, “God is too busy for me.” Or listen to my physics guru of a son and think, “How can I fit in with this crazy world?”
I want to make a difference. I want to matter. Does anyone out there understand a fraction of what I’m saying? I hope so. I guess I need to go back a ways for this to make sense.
When I started Casper College in the Fall of 1987, you’ll never guess what I picked as my major. No, it wasn’t pre-pharmacy. And even though I’ve always loved wildlife and photography, it didn’t involve either of those.
No, as brand-spanking new freshman, my major was Computer Science. I learned the new world of the box on the desk: BASIC, Fortran, and came to a startling realization. I hated it. Not that I wasn’t good at it, evidently my grades showed great promise. But it didn't last long.
I floundered for a while afterwards. I really had no clue what I wanted to do. Remember, I loved photography? Do you have any clue how expensive that profession is? I couldn’t even afford to take the classes! Nixed that idea in the bud. That’s not saying I couldn’t have had a terrific career, especially in Wyoming but nope...didn’t happen.
Then something wonderful did. An awesome man entered my life. Not only did he have the best sense of humor in the whole region but he was a spiritual rock. James Blare knew what he believed and wasn’t afraid to say it. We became the best of friends and our love sealed an eternal bond.
With no idea what I wanted to pursue for a career, I decided to withdraw from Casper College after three semesters. My husband-to-be was very supportive. After all, he knew me well by now and I was miserable.
The Lord seemed to have abandoned me. I prayed for a career. Then a job and a roommate. But no answer came. I went to church, I had my quiet time every day, even attended the singles’ group still. What else did He want?
One night before he headed up to Sundance, James told me to ‘be patient’ and I just about smacked him. If one more person said that word to me, I was going to scream. Instead, I bit my tongue, kissed him goodbye and watched his taillights disappear.
Then His ‘wait’ became an answered prayer.
I got a job. It wasn’t a high-paying job. It wasn’t even a full-time job. I was a clerk, earning minimum wage at one of the local drug stores. Yeah, I know. I barely made enough to make my half-rent and living expenses with my new roommate. Truth be known, I probably didn’t make enough for that.
But one day, I realized I held so much more than a paycheck. He’d not only answered my prayer for a job, but I had a Christian roommate to come home to every night. (Betty Jo, you’ll always be treasured.) In addition, that day I decided I wanted to be a pharmacist. (Thank you, Karla.)
The Lord opened the door and I am so thankful that I understood enough to walk through it.
Let me keep my eyes on You, O God. Your will be done.

Psalm 25:15 (NKJV) “My eyes are ever toward the LORD, for He shall pluck my feet out of the net.”

In Christ.

Renee

Comments

Popular Posts