Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pen to the Page: Motivation

http://www.stockfreeimages.com/

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted Pen to the Page. For those who may not know, PTP is about writing. Once in a while, I’ll throw a post your way, if not a few in a row, about something I’ve learned. What fun, and I love to talk about writing! So here we go… The next installment of Pen to the Page.
Why does a writer pick up the pen in the first place, then through it all, continue to dip it in the well? To pour their heart and soul into a story, or topic and then expose it for the world to see?
How does a new writer face the challenges of critiques, contests, queries, synopses (Wow, the list does go on, doesn’t it?)? When is she “ready” to enter a particular contest or query an agent?
It comes down to one word…motivation. A simple but powerful concept that drives any life.
First and foremost, the Lord is the center of my life and the focus of my writing. He’s called me to dip my quill and I will strive to perfect the art. (Not that I will ever achieve that goal.) My prayer is that all may know Christ, hence, my words contain His message.
Second, challenges are lessons. Some are tougher than others. Some make sense, some don’t. Not all are kind, not all are helpful. Then it happens. I meet them; the group of writers or partner who clicks. Rewrites, edits ensue. I’ve learned a whole new language that includes acronyms like POV, RUTE, HEA, FBP.
As far as being “ready”? I’m a little bit of a daredevil with contests. I entered the first draft of my very manuscript in ACFW’s Genesis contest. Hey, cut a girl some slack. I didn’t even have a clue what “head-hopping” was at the time. I give the judges a great deal of credit. They were very kind. Well, as much as they could be anyway. Even after the results, I have the same philosophy regarding contests. Enter as many as you can. Get the feedback, if they offer it. It’s a great way to learn.
Agents and publishers prefer clean samples and/or query letters. Clean it up, make it shine, and throw it out there. I’ve pitched my book to a couple of agents as well as publishers. Except for a couple of partner publishers, all I have are letters for the rejection pile but that’s okay. I’m on my way!

I once was told life’s a learning process. Live and learn. To try and fail is better than never trying at all. Success for me is a marked up score sheet, rejection letter or no reply at all. At least, I made the attempt and no one can take that away. In the end, I’ll keep the pen to the page. 
Why? To enlighten the world to the Truth through hope and faith.

What’s your motivation? Will it keep you going through slashing critiques, scathing evaluations, and inevitable rejection letters?
Yeah, I thought so. :)

In Christ,

Renee


4 comments:

  1. Ѕimply wish to sаy youг article is as surprising.
    The clearness to your put up iѕ just sρectaсular and i
    can suppose уou're a professional on this subject. Well with your permission allow me to clutch your RSS feed to keep updated with drawing close post. Thanks one million and please continue the gratifying work.

    Here is my page - reputation management

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the post. :) Thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. Whаt а stuff of un-ambіguity and ρгesеrvenesѕ of vаluаblе knoω-hοw about unprеdictеԁ feelings.


    My wеbsіtе reputation management articles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gilbert S Jul masters in nursing online 22, 2012, 7:26pm UTCWerner V.
    Health officials say the masters in nursing online much higher rates in New York City tales.
    However, at present that does not seem to be innocent and even those who are not willing to read what you
    wrote with an open mind. Or the mad housewife who kills with the
    frypan? As a result, they tend to attribute motivations and actions to all sorts of game both big and small; and yes
    I've used them before.

    Also visit my blog post; nursingschoolsintexas.us

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your email as well as your name if you are entering a giveaway. After all, if you win, I need to let you know!