Guest: Why Me?



“Why me? Why do You have to put me through all this stuff?”
I remember a time in my life when things were crashing down on me and I couldn’t handle it. I was upset and angry at God for what I was going through and often lashed out at Him. I asked God those questions over and over again.  
At the time, I was just getting over my fourth knee surgery but faced a back and shoulder surgery as well. I had fallen down a flight of stairs which led to the problems I currently have today.
Then one day I decided to listen to God after asking those questions. This time, in prayer, I was really ready to hear what He had to say in the matter.
I waited and listened.
“Why not?” He replied.
Now, I was confused. Isn’t it funny how God can meet our complex dilemma with a simple two-worded question?
I meditated on His answer and discovered that God allowed my trials for me to comfort others. As I grew closer to Him, I found myself humbled and eager to use this knowledge.
Waiting for God to send someone my way, I thought, "how many others have it much worse than I?". So when and how could I ever help someone? Not long after that epiphany, I was face to face with the opportunity to share what God had taught me.
Scheduled for another MRI, I sat in the waiting room. This time though, I was joined by an elderly gentleman. He appeared somewhat uneasy. I imagine all the technology may be a little intimidating if you think about it. After some small talk, he made a comment that he was nervous about having the scan and heard they’re very uncomfortable.
I said to myself, “This is it! I can help this guy.” I told him, “This is like my tenth one and they’re really not as bad as you think. I usually fall asleep.” After describing what they do and what to expect, I sent up a silent, little prayer for him.
The gentleman’s face lit with a smile when he exited the MRI room after he was done. “Thanks, I did what you said. I fell asleep and got a good nap out of it.”
His joy made me feel so much better; I helped someone through a time of uncertainty. God uses us to do His will and works. Whether we comfort someone’s suffering or help them to complete a chore. I have found that not only does the person get blessed but we do as well; by their happiness.

2 Corinthians 1:3-6 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For just as the sufferings of Christ are ours in abundance, so also our comfort is abundant through Christ. But if we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; or if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which is effective in the patient enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer; and our hope for you is firmly grounded, knowing that as you are sharers of our sufferings, so also you are sharers of our comfort.

James Blare, Jr.

About the Author:
James became a Christian on Easter Sunday at the age of 9. His favorite hobbies include fishing (his worst day of fishing is a good day), woodworking, gardening, and comparing the New and Old Testament of the Bible for trivia. He also enjoys the great company of his wife, Renee. One of his favorite facts he's picked up along the way is that God said every day of the week was good except Monday.

Comments

  1. "I have found that not only does the person get blessed but we do as well; by their happiness." I need to remember this. Thanks, James.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your email as well as your name if you are entering a giveaway. After all, if you win, I need to let you know!

Popular Posts