Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Pen to the Page: Figuring It Out

 
 
 
Welcome back to Pen to the Page.
 
Have you ever had a dream but no clue how to make it come true?
I have to admit I felt that way after someone read the first draft of my manuscript. Now what? Where did I go? What did I do to make it better? I was now a writer but I had a lot to figure out before I could be an author.
 
Jeremiah 17:7 “Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, and whose hope is the LORD.”
 
Last week, I mentioned that I joined ACFW, American Christian Fiction Writers. I did this almost the day I picked up my pen. I knew I needed support. No one can do it alone. This organization is packed full of wonderful Christian writers who have offered a great deal of help and guidance. I’m grateful for every bit of it.
From the edits to the critiques, ACFW is a source I can trust. It has writing contests and courses as well as many others assets for the Christian writer. I love the fact that I can ask my fellow writers for advice about my plot lines one day and ask for prayer the next.
They taught me more this last year than I could ever imagine. Take the acronyms. I thought the government was bad! After working amidst initials for over ten years, you’d think I’d be used to them. I had a whole new pack to decipher. POV, RUE, WIP to name a few. Point-of-view, Resist-the-Urge-to-Explain, Work-in-Progress for those who are scratching their heads in confusion.
Then I had all the new terms to learn. You know? Those blessed words like tighten, weasel, and head-hopping. Yep, a whole new vocabulary for a whole new world.
 My new friends highlighted and marked their way across my chapters to show me what was “acceptable” and what was not. Suggestions littered the margins especially those early days. My first draft eclipsed into my third then my fifth then…well, I’ve lost count how many times I’ve edited my manuscript now.
 
Romans 5:3 “And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance.”
 
Throughout the process, the “experienced” ones have stressed something to me. Never lose my “voice.” I’ve taken their advice to heart. Even though I’ve learned and grown, my voice is my own. Yes, it may be a little young, after all, I am a new writer, but it’s definitely, my own.
I know I still have a lot to learn. Agents, editors, publishers... Yes, I’ve quite the journey to see my words on someone else’s page besides my own. But I’ll keep writing and I’ll keep learning. Soon, my dream will come true.
Meet me here next week as I share why a platform is beneficial to a fledgling writer in The Launching Platform on Pen to the Page.
In Christ,
Renee
 
ACFW website: http://www.acfw.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your email as well as your name if you are entering a giveaway. After all, if you win, I need to let you know!