Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Pen to the Page: Acute Inspiration

 
 
 
Welcome to the first installment of Pen to the Page.
For the next four weeks, I’ll discuss writing and its aspects from my perspective as an aspiring author. The Lord continues to offer His wisdom as I continue my journey to publication.
Next week, I’ll talk about learning the process with Figuring It Out. The third segment, The Launching Platform will cover the components of a platform and the benefits they can offer as well as their limitations. I’ll wrap up with a section that covers contests and critiques, An Author’s Examination. Contests are opportunities and critiques should be explored not abhorred. I’ll discuss both in the last installment of Pen to the Page.
So, get your pens out and let’s begin.
What motivates a person to write…anything? Two words… Acute inspiration.
Acute means now, otherwise who would have ever picked up the pen? Then a source inspires the dedication and strength to continue on to the goal (e.g. story, book, or poem).
I’m an aspiring author and I can remember the day I decided to pick up the pen like it was yesterday. Not to write a poem, I’ve done that for years. No, I can remember the day that I decided to write. It was an acute moment in time. That day changed my life forever.
The Lord used my husband to plant a seed, much like the seed of faith.
Matthew 13:23 “But he who received seed on the good ground is he who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and produces: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty."
 
With just a few words of encouragement, writing became reality in my life. Now I could glorify the Lord! The stories and characters dancing around in my head could finally find their way to the page. I had so much to share. I didn’t know where to start.
 
The words flowed and before long, I had a bonafide manuscript on my hands but I didn’t know what to do with it. I looked at self-publishing but I didn’t want to risk putting my words into print if they weren’t ready yet.
 
My philosophy is simple. Anybody can write. I want to be a Christian author.
 
So, I joined the ACFW, American Christian Fiction Writers, and started to learn. I learned about writing. I entered a contest, joined editing groups and critique groups, and then tackled the almighty platform. Just when I thought I’d figured it out, I discovered I didn’t know much and continued learning more.
 
Through it all, my husband stays by my side. Sometimes, all he sees is my head as it’s buried in my laptop as I update my blog or work on my current manuscript. Time management is a big issue and still proves to be quite the challenge. After all, balancing a full-time job, writing and editing, critiques, a weekly blog, book reviews, and social networking can keep a person hopping. Sad to say, family can sometimes be neglected if I’m not careful.
 
What motivates me to continue this demanding path? What’s my inspiration?
 
Psalm 28:7 “The LORD is my strength and my shield; My heart trusted in Him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart greatly rejoices, And with my song I will praise Him.”
 
My song is my words. Whether they rest in a novel or a poem, they’ll praise the Lord. I’ll bring glory to the Almighty. He’s my strength and through Him, through His acute inspiration, I’ll find a page for my pen each and every day.
 
Join me next week on Pen to the Page as I talk about Figuring It Out.
 
In Christ,
 
Renee


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your email as well as your name if you are entering a giveaway. After all, if you win, I need to let you know!