Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Rejoice, Again I Say, Rejoice!



Philippians 4:4 “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!”


It's Sunday morning.
The Word rings in my heart clear as a bell. I know what I'm supposed to do. The music begins and the lyrics are on the screen. My mouth opens and…
A couple of weeks ago:
The doctor with the funny accent flips the paper in the chart and freezes. He looks at the squiggly lines across the pink sheet then glances my way. A line furrows his brow and he taps his lip with his pen.
“Your EKG is abnormal. It is indicating possible blockages.” He turns the paper to look closer. “When is the last time you had a stress test?” His accent thickens.
My heart stops. What is he talking about? The blood pounds in my ears and I try to focus on the question.
“I’ve never had a stress test before. I just had an EKG six months ago. They didn’t say anything to me about it being abnormal.” This can’t be happening. I’m only 42 years old.
“You need to have a stress test, Mrs. Blare.” He looks me in the eye to drive home his point. “It is better to know what may be wrong, yes?”
After a few more minutes, the appointment is finished. I walked into the clinic full of optimism and leave in shock.
Psalm 118:24 “This is the day the LORD has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.”
Sunday morning
Tears stream down my face as I bow my head in prayer. The pastor hit a nerve just now. He reminded us to not check our burdens at the door but to bring them in and lay them before the Lord.
Oh, God, give me the strength to do that. A warm hand descends on my shoulder and my husband’s comfort radiates beside me.
We rise to sing and an arm slips around me. I reach up to stem the flow of tears and try to smile up at him. He rewards me with a squeeze. The music flows around us and I close my eyes.
Psalm 34:2 “I will glory in the LORD; let the afflicted hear and rejoice.”
My mouth opens and at last, I sing. Worship surrounds me. Father God, You are in control. Praise Your Holy Name. The tears dry and I raise my face to the Lord.
I leave the building with a little less weight on my shoulders. I’m still working on the rest. I learn one thing at a time and sometimes rather slowly. I will always remember this though.
Philippians 4:4 “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!”
In Christ,

Renee

P.S.  By the way, the stress test checked out fine. No blockages! I give the glory to the Almighty!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your email as well as your name if you are entering a giveaway. After all, if you win, I need to let you know!