Monday, July 30, 2012

Forest or Trees: What Do You See?



“Where are you going?”

 I stop and look over my shoulder at my husband. His expression is one of complete bafflement.

 “Back to the truck. You said we’re done, right?” I brush the dirt and leaves from my numb backside and shift the rifle to my shoulder.

He stares at me a second or two in disbelief then shakes his head.

“Renee, the pickup is that way.” He points up the hill in the opposite direction.

“No, it isn’t. It’s this way.” I grumble a few more words to myself and start walking down the mountain, picking my way over fallen logs and through the thick timber.

“Honey, stop!” His shout echoes through the trees, successfully halting me in my tracks. “Trust me, I know where we are and the truck is not down there. Come back.”

Now it’s my turn to look at him in shock. I gaze around me and begin to realize that I don’t have a clue where I am. Everything looks the same. The trees, the scattered leaves, and the snow crunching under my feet combine to create a scene of utter confusion. I walk back to my husband’s side.

“So, where’s the truck?” I meet his eyes with trepidation.

He wraps an arm around me and gives me a hug, his gun slung around his other shoulder. “Don’t worry, I’ll show you.”

Together, we hike uphill out of the small valley to our pickup which I discover is parked about three-quarters of a mile away. So close, yet so far.

    

I remember that day like it was yesterday. I berated myself constantly about it for years. How could I let myself get lost so close to the truck? How could I get so turned around in such a little valley? And it was a small area in the Wind River Mountains in Wyoming.

Give me a map and I can get anywhere but that day, I didn’t know which way was up! Why? How?

Have you ever heard of the saying “You can’t see the forest for the trees?”

Well, that’s what happened to me that day. I was too busy worrying about the small stuff to concentrate on the big picture, the forest.

Things such as: don’t trip over that log, don’t rustle those leaves, watch out for those branches, eww! sap!, don’t sniffle too loudly. All kinds of tiny things ricocheted through my brain while I walked through the trees that day. This hunting trip was the chance to show my husband that I knew what I was doing. In turn, I failed to pay attention to a few details.

I forgot to notice our starting point, the pickup. I never even considered the fact that we never walked uphill all day. Or that we spent most of the day using various routes to cover the same territory.

I also didn’t take into account my husband’s nature. You see, he has a loving, Godly soul. He told me later that he would never have strayed too far from the pickup in the first place. When I asked him why he would do something like that, he just smiled and said, “For you.”

So have you ever found yourself in a situation like this? Looking through a field of trees, struggling to see, unsure of your destination? Thank the Lord, I had my husband to point me in the right direction that day. Who do you have?

Are you alone and searching? If so, I know Someone and His name is Jesus. He’ll never leave your side. When you turn down the wrong path, He’ll call to direct you back to Him. And when you ask why, He’ll simply say, “For you.” So do you know Him today?



Isaiah 41:10 “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”



In Christ,



Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your email as well as your name if you are entering a giveaway. After all, if you win, I need to let you know!