TALES FROM THE FLEDGLING WRITER



My First Rejection

First stage… Utter Devastation 
I stare at the screen in shock.  I read the words over and over again.   A feeling of sheer panic washes over me as I admit that what appears is not the manuscript from last night.  My heart sinks in defeat.  Oh, no! My computer rejected my edits!

Second stage… Raving Lunacy 
I search every hidden realm in the computer for my lost words.  I dig into the recycle bin, the hard drives, the documents and picture files looking for the elusive data.  No bits or bytes are to be found.  Strands of hair fall by my chair and unkind words caress the ceiling.   My husband listens to the moans and groans for a little while then asks the one question I do not want to hear.  

"Did you save them?”

DID I SAVE THEM?  Of course, I saved them!  I always save them!  What kind of an airheaded writer does NOT save their work?  Do I look like an airheaded writer?  NO!  Of course not, that is because I SAVE MY WORK!  (I did say raving lunatic, right?)  I did not eat them, my computer did!  You know, those little green gremlins inside this stupid flat laptop!
It is amazing how calm my husband remains in the midst of a crazy woman.  He actually nods and watches me with deep, brown eyes that express so many ways how sorry he feels for me.  After gazing into those eyes a few moments, I feel a peace settle in my soul and I calm.

Third stage… Dark Depression
I know I have to get back in the saddle and re-edit everything that has been lost but the wind is out of my sails.   Not only does my work schedule take most of my writing time, I just do not feel like doing it.  This “glitch” happened at the worst possible time!  No one cares anyway if I finish this book.  Maybe I’ll just put it on the shelf for a later time…

Fourth stage… “Friendly” Hope
Wow!  An amazing thing is happening today with fellow writers!  The “like-fest” with the Facebook author/writer pages is spreading like wildfire on ACFW!  My page went from nine to ninety “likes” in one day and I feel more connected to the writing community than ever before!  The Lord is so good!  I think I will start on those edits.  I really miss Timber Springs, anyway!

Fifth stage…  "Get to bed, now!  You have to work tomorrow!" (I’m coming, honey!  I just have to finish this chapter.)  
Psst!  By the way, now I have a flash drive to save anything and everything I do.  :)
Luke 19:10 “…for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost." (A little out of context but I thought it was very appropriate!)
Love to all in Christ,
Renee

Comments

Popular Posts