Praying With an Agenda

     Prayer is wonderful.  I love to talk to my God.  I remember learning the Lord’s prayer as a child and after becoming a Christian, using it in my own prayer life.  The joy I that I experience in fellowship with Him cannot be found any other way.  A flow of intense prayer and fellowship is how I walk daily now but I did not start that way.  I had a rough period or two…
     After I became a Christian, excitement filled my soul.  God was awesome!  He was moving in my life and doing such wonders that prayer was almost an afterthought.  I spent most of my time alternating between praising his almighty Name and thanking Him.  Experiencing the real and true power of God for the first time in my church life of eighteen years sent me reeling and I was on cloud nine. 
     Rough period number one arrives… Dutifully, I hit my knees.  In tears, I turn everything over to God but He doesn’t answer my prayer!  Oh, I am mad!  Why, Lord?  Why won’t you answer me?  I quit going to that church and go to another.  I stop reading that study and start this one.  My answer is somewhere I know it is.  Eventually, things smooth over or maybe they get tucked away.
     Rough period number two…SLAM!  This time, I am knocked off my feet.  Again, I fall on my face before God.  I wait and wait.  No answer.  I think I am not being patient, so I wait a little longer and still no answer.  The devastation I feel at this time is hard to describe.  I honestly feel abandoned by my Lord.  I petition fellow Christians and am told that it is a “lack of faith” or that I am not praying “hard enough.”  I know both of these to be false.  So, I wait with a little anger at God deep inside my heart.

Eph 6:18  And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people.

     Studying prayer through the years, I have realized that it is so much more than a list of demands that I rattle off to God when I need Him.  The agenda I take to God is not His but mine.  The answers I seek are my solution to whatever problem I face.  It is no wonder that I have been met with silence.  Oh, I still find myself going to God with an agenda or two and the quiet is deafening!  Instead of getting angry, I examine the prayer I just uttered.  What do I want God to do?  Why? After evaluating my own hidden desires, I try it again.  I leave it in the almighty Lord’s capable hands and trust Him to handle it.

In Christ,
Renee

Comments

  1. Renee, you seem to be able to preach sermons that seem effortless! Even after all our conversations, I have been praying with an agenda. I already know the how and when for how I expect God to answer my prayers. Then I get upset that He has not done so. Not only do I expect Him to answer on my timeline, I am expecting Him to follow my will too! Ok, I will pray that I can put my agenda firmly to the side and pray in a spirit of expectancy. Expecting that He will respond in His timeline according to His will. Trusting that He has the best in mind for Hid children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Grace, the LAST thing I want to do is preach. I'll leave that to the experts.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please leave your email as well as your name if you are entering a giveaway. After all, if you win, I need to let you know!

Popular Posts